The TOEIC® Listening and Reading test is a paper-and-pencil, multiple-choice assessment. There are two timed sections of 100 questions each. For more detailed information on test content, please see pages two and three of the TOEIC® Listening and Reading Examinee Handbook (PDF).
Section I: Listening
Test takers listen to a variety of questions and short conversations recorded in English, then answer questions based on what they have heard (100 items total).
- Part 1: Photographs
- Part 2: Question-Response
- Part 3: Conversations
- Part 4: Short Talks
Section II: Reading
Test takers read a variety of materials and respond at their own pace (100 items total).
- Part 5: Incomplete Sentences
- Part 6: Error Recognition or Text Completion
- Part 7: Reading Comprehension
The test takes approximately 2½ hours, with:
- 45 minutes for Section I
- 75 minutes for Section II
- approximately 30 minutes to answer biographical questions