Pre A1 Starters, formerly known as Cambridge English: Starters (YLE Starters), is one of our Cambridge English Qualifications. It is the start of a child’s language learning journey.
Pre A1 Starters is the first of three Cambridge English Qualifications designed for young learners. These tests introduce children to everyday written and spoken English and are an excellent way for them to gain confidence and improve their English.
The tests are written around familiar topics and focus on the skills needed to communicate effectively in English through listening, speaking, reading and writing.
CEFR level: Pre-level A1 What's this?
Test format: Paper-based
No. of papers: 3
Test length: About 45 minutes
Pre A1 Starters 2018 exam update
We regularly review all of our exams to make sure they are up to date with the latest research in language learning and teaching. Pre A1 Starters was updated and the revised test started being used for exam sessions in January 2018. Find out what changed:
Pre A1 Starters can help your child take their first step towards:
- understanding basic English content on the internet
- enjoying books, songs, television and films in English
- making friends globally.
Reasons to choose Pre A1 Starters
- There’s no pass or fail – every child gets a Cambridge English certificate which celebrates their achievements.
- The test uses realistic everyday situations to bring learning to life.
- The test covers all major varieties of English (e.g. British English, American English).
- We have a huge range of free and paid-for support.