About the TOEFL IBT® Test
The TOEFL IBT® test, delivered via the internet, is an important part of your journey to study in an English-speaking country. In addition to the test, the ETS TOEFL®Program provides tools and guides to help you prepare for the test and improve your English-language skills.
What Is the TOEFL IBT Test?
The TOEFL IBT test measures your ability to use and understand English at the university level. And it evaluates how well you combine your reading, listening, speaking and writing skills to perform academic tasks. The TOEFL IBT test measures the English language skills important for effective
Who Takes the TOEFL® Test?
More than 30 million people from all over the world have taken the TOEFL® test to demonstrate their English-language proficiency. The average English skill level ranges between Intermediate and Advanced.
- Students planning to study at a higher education institution
- English-language learning program admissions and exit
- Scholarship and certification candidates
- English-language learners who want to track their progress
- Students and workers applying for visas
Who Accepts TOEFL Test Scores?
More than 10,000 colleges, agencies and other institutions in over 130 countries accept TOEFL scores. For more information, including using your scores to satisfy visa requirements in Australia and the U.K., how to find institutions that accept TOEFL scores, and more, see Who Accepts TOEFL Scores.
Where and When Can I Take the TOEFL IBT Test?
The TOEFL test has over 50 test dates per year at authorized test centers around the world. You can retake the test as many times as you wish, but you cannot take it more than once in a 12-day period. If you already have a test appointment, you cannot register for another test date that is within 12 days of your existing appointment.
This retake policy will be enforced even if a violation is not immediately identified (for example, inconsistent registration information).
- If the violation is identified after registration but before the test date, your test appointment will be canceled and your test fee will not be refunded.
- If the violation is not identified until after your scores have been reported, your scores will be canceled. You and any score recipients will be notified by a cancellation letter, and your test fee will not be refunded.
Watch a short video (Flash) to see what happens at one of our TOEFL IBT test centers on test day.